Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Future plans

I've been putting in some big miles so far this month, so provided I don't end up injured (which is a bigger "provided" than I care to acknowledge), I've got to find some race goals.

Known upcoming races:

1) Heels to Wheels Duathlon, Aug. 28. Yeah, guess I better peel off the race sticker on my bike from the Turtle Crawl tri. What? It was only 3 months ago... The duathlon is run 2 miles, bike 14, run 2. I'm thinking it won't be that hard, except for that chunk of 14 miles in the middle. And I need a new pump. Cause you know, the only thing harder than riding a bike for 14 miles is riding one with flat tires. So apparently my new bike euphoria a year ago was extremely short lived.

2) Jacksonville Marine Corps Half, October. In theory, this is the one I'm training for, but I can't seem to push the send button on active.com.

3) Peachtree City 25k, Darkside Running Club, November. Dual purpose- visit Ted's brother's family and do a race. I love when I can merge things like that- then it's not all about me! The race looks interesting. There's a 50k at the same time, so there should be a lot of people way weirder than me which will be refreshing. It's a 5 mile loop on golf cart trails with "rolling hills." I'm a little concerned about the possible disparity between my definition of rolling hills and the locals. Still, there should be lots of people moving sort of slowly (cause they've got 30+ miles altogether to go!) I wonder if they'll laugh at my Garmin and Newtons? Probably not my Garmin, definitely the Newtons. I've filled out the form but haven't taken it off my desk.

4) Jax Bank Half Marathon... or Full? In theory, this could be a good year to run a Full. I'd love to break 4 hours, and horror of horrors, a Boston Qualifying time for me would be 3:50. Ugh. The running calculators predict I could do under 3:50, but that's if I can stay injury free with perfect training and have a perfect day. I don't know if I want that kind of pressure. I could do the half- did I mention my main goal is last minute Christmas shopping in Jax and a last race before I turn 40?

5) Princess Half, Feb. 27. I'm sure I'll do it, but I need to work on my outfit.

Optionals:

Tallahassee Half or Full? Breast Cancer 26.2 with Donna Half or Full?

Gate River Run, March something. I don't really like this run (hello, bridge at end!), but if you are in the top 10% you get a cool hat. Granted I'll never wear the hat because I'll feel like a pretentious runner, but it's kind of tempting. Emma can't believe I'd run 9+ miles as fast as possible "uh, just for a hat?!" And then when I told her I probably wouldn't wear the hat, she laughed... a lot.

No comments: