Monday, January 14, 2008

Friday of Disney Marathon Weekend

We make it to the Expo on Friday afternoon to pick up my stuff. Because I'm doing Goofy, I get to go to the front of the line. Getting to go past the ginormous line might be worth doing Goofy. (For reference, there were over 12,000 people in the half; 18,000 people in the full- only 3,000 in the Goofy, so I just walked right up to the Goofy tables).

I get my packets and go downstairs to pick up my "free" T-shirts. Exactly why did Disney think grey was a good color? The actual design is very cute, but the grey is kind of dingy. Oh well, there's plenty of other stuff to buy! I drop the family off at the Sharpie stand to make a poster. In a burst of power shopping, I pick up 2 t-shirts, a frame, a pin, a Goofy stuffed animal, and a keychain in about 5 minutes. Really. I'm that good. I find my peeps and we head to the hotel.

My mother wanted to come to the Marathon as well- she said she wanted to see me run a marathon, and I told her this could be her only chance! So she and a friend, Betsy, stayed in another room in our hotel. Ted and Emma go out for a sushi dinner date. Emma, my mom, Betsy, and Harry and I wander down to the Boardwalk. I know I can't deal with Harry in a restaurant (especially after a 4 hour drive). I'm a bit neurotic because you are supposed to eat something you are used to before you run- as in make no changes. We end up with a plain cheese pizza that we eat at a table outside. Have I ever run the day after eating pizza?! Well, no, but I have eaten a lot of pizza in my life so I feel reasonably safe.

We go to our respective rooms. I spend at least an hour compulsively organizing my stuff. I have to pin my race number on, put my chip on my shoe, pack my bag I'd pick up after the race, and just generally pace around, all while watching What Not to Wear. Finally, around 10:30 p.m., after setting my phone alarm and a wake up call, I drift off with the knowledge that there's going to be a lot of beeping in my room at 3:05 a.m...

No comments: