Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Reindeer Run

And the annual Reindeer Run is upon us...

I didn't really want to run the 5k because the Jacksonville Bank Half was the next weekend. But, Harry wanted to do the one mile and the shirts are usually cute (although you have to wear them quickly because the reindeer feels silly after December). At least four people asked me if I was going to be running the race in the week leading up to it. I found that highly entertaining.

Harry and I arrived pretty early- it was cold and sort of wet. In four years of running, i've only run in the rain once (and after the initial novelty wore off, it just annoyed me, especially when the water kicked off the back of my shoe onto my leg). Lucky for us, the rain slowed to just a bit of a drizzle. I still worried that with Harry's history of falling, he was doomed to go down...

We lined up at the track with a few kids and some walkers. The race director got the kids to do a few stretches and jumps. Funny stuff. So the race started- I knew we were in trouble within one lap. Harry was whining up a storm. We had to keep passing a gazebo area where the 5k runners were waiting. Harry started jumping in puddles. I yelled at him to get out of the puddles, but then the audience of bored 5k runners started laughing and cheering, and there was no stopping the puddle jumping. So on we went, round and round, with Harry playing it up for his public each lap. By lap three, I was encouraging Harry to jump in the puddles- anything to maintain our forward momentum. We chatted a bit about Universal Studios purely as a distraction technique. A lifetime later, we finished. Someone's got to finish last, right? Harry got a water bottle for his prize. I was concerned he'd freak out over the lack of medals, but he took it well. Maybe he was just grateful to be done too.

We decided we'd use my new camera and take pictures of the 5k. We took a few pictures of Santa Moi (lead bike, in full Tri Santa suit) and then drove over to the hospital. I parked and rolled down my window for the pictures. That whole not getting out of the car thing might explain why some of my pictures were blurred, but it's not like I was being paid! Harry hung out the window and yelled things like "I think you can do it!" Inspirational, no?! I felt a little silly, but it was fun. Not surprisingly, the back of the packers looked like they were having the most fun.

We waited until we saw the police car go behind the last runner. Harry recognized the cop driving- he was excited that he knew him. I realized later that this was the first time Harry didn't fall down in a race- nice! But based on his general attitude during the race, Mr. Harry may be on a bit of a hiatus for awhile... I'm sure his public will be disappointed.

No comments: