Monday, February 23, 2009

Super Dolphin Day 10k

My 10k report from the Super Dolphin Days 10k:

So, thankfully, my Warrior peeps had me dressed appropriately for 30 degree weather! I was in a thick turtleneck, pants, gloves, hat, and vest. I was much more comfortable than I expected (in normal life I would have waited until later in the day to run, since it reached 65 by mid-day!)

We picked up my packet Friday night at an elementary school. I picked it up early to get it over with, only to find out you had to get the chip the morning of the race. I thought that was weird. Turns out it took all of 20 seconds to get my chip that morning, so no big deal. Anyway, they said get there 30 minutes early to get your chip, so I had roughly 29 minutes to kill.;) I took some pictures on my phone. As usual, I was the only doofus taking pictures...

Photobucket

So, I'm studying the map, thinking this is farther than I really wanted to go, when a random woman starts talking to me. She's asking if the course is well-marked. I have no clue, but we kind of chat a bit. She's wearing a big coat and sweatpants; she's older, and kind of has that perfect older lady hair. I think she's either a leisurely walker or a spectator...

We all wander down towards the start. Hard to find- this is it:

Photobucket

People are standing around chatting. I'm texting and checking my facebook. Again, doofus. The race starts with a quick airhorn blast. I see it coming, yet I jump. So embarassing to be so twitchy!

This was my plan: start the first two miles at about 9:45, then try to creep towards 9:30 for the middle, then push for 9:00s for the last two miles. I really just wanted to break an hour. (Previous 10k best was 1:08 but I haven't run one in a long time without the complications of pregnancy or a friggin' bridge).

I start running, and find myself behind an older steady guy. My first mile is 9:02. The second was 9:07. I knew I couldn't keep that pace, but I was in that delusional stage of racing... Third mile, 9:11. I decide to let the old guy go!

I walked a bit through a waterstop. Might have been a mistake...
Fourth mile was 9:35; fifth mile was about the same. By mile 5, I was sending my mom text messages about my distance so she could find me (she had the kids). I tried to text her "kill me" but accidentally sent through "kills" which I thought was actually more appropriate.

Mile 5, guess who's cheering and yelling that the finish is around the corner? My friend who looked like a spectator! She took first in the 50-54 category with 47 minutes- D'Oh! I loved that- so fun when someone totally surprises you!

Mile 6, there are some kids cheering. I manage to smile a bit, but nothing like my usual, friendly racing self. Then I look up and see the boys in the stroller with my mom and Emma jumping up and down. That did make me happy, although not faster... The last little bit is up a curved drive- the only hill has to be there? It's in the same 9:30 range.

So, I finished with a 58:38. I felt good about my effort level, but I need to do some more training. And drop some pounds. That would help. I taped a pace chart to my phone and checked it each mile- that was really good. I spent all of mile 4 wondering where I could add the extra seconds I gained by not running at an average pace of 9:27 per my chart. Stupid, but distracting, and sometimes distracting is all you've got.

We wandered down to the coffee shop and then watched the 5k. The Coast Guard was running. Some were really fast, but then a big group was running in a sort of chain following the flag. Very cool.

Photobucket

I made everyone linger for the results. According to my calculations based on last year's results, I had a chance for a medal. The fastest people in my group last year moved up to another age group. Yeah, I was 11th out of my group!! What was that all about?! I'm so taking those people next year...

And that's pretty much it.

Jen in GA

1 comment:

G said...

Nice blog. Looking forward to reading more entries! I want to run the Princess and might have if we weren't buying a house. Wanna call in and give a report?????