Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reindeer Run 2008

Last year I set a PR at the Reindeer Run 5k. The course starts at the YMCA, goes straight uphill to the hospital (convenient, no?) and then goes in a big square back. I ran it in 24:42. It was a beautiful thing, and I'll probably never come close to beating it. And it probably set me up for the leg pain I had during the full marathon, but whatever...

I was a little worried about running it this year. Obviously I wouldn't get close to my PR, which I can accept, but still... Then I decided to pressure my mom into running with me since she had only done one 5k before. Even though this is a low key race (as in no race numbers and you have to remember your time), any race experience is good for preparing for the half.

So, we ran uphill and in a big square. My mom hit the BMZ (Bite Me Zone) around mile 1, then got a little better around 2, and fluctuated until the end... We stuck around for the awards. Turns out even with a 38:xx minute run, we won age group awards! So, while my time was a little different, another age group ornament from the Reindeer Run.

Photobucket

Most importantly, we ran the entire 5k well within sweeping time of the Half!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Hey there, runner friend! Congrats on another 1/2 marathon???? DId you go??? Remember me???

We're still in Singapore. Just celebrated one year here! I'm looking forward to returning to a Disney race someday on our return. I'm reading your blog so you might want to write a little more. ;) Hope things are going well!

Vicki <---- your Minnie warm up friend. :)