Monday, November 24, 2008

Official Half training begins

Sure, I was supposed to begin training a few weeks ago, but I was trying to balance that out with the whole wait six weeks after delivery thing (never mind the inconsistency with running in the Race for the Taste at three weeks post delivery)...

Regardless, the training has commenced.

Sort of.

I was all ready to go Sunday morning at St. Simons, but it was 37 degrees outside when I woke up. I don't run if it's below 45. Or maybe 50. Originally Ted said he'd watch the kids so I didn't have to worry about freezing them, but he was reluctant to get up. I decided it was kind of a moot point since I wasn't going outside with or without the wee ones...

So, mid-day arrives and with it, the temperature gets up to about 59 degrees. Harry was taking a nap, Ted was reading, Emma was watching TV. Here was my opportunity! I threw Miles in the ginormous double stroller and picked up my mom at her house. After rejecting the running jackets I brought for her and taking my running vest literally off my back (and glasses off my head), my mother pronounced herself ready. Oh wait- I forgot. First we split some sort of macadamia nut brownie/cookie. Apparently I get my Stomach O'Steel from her!

We headed out. My mother had just had a private lesson with a ChiRunning Coach (really), so she tried to implement her "lean" and I just plodded along pushing the baby and babbling. We took one of the routes that I always took during Goofy training- boring, but reassuring in its familiarity.

We ran approximately six miles. As usual, I turned off my Garmin at one point and forgot to re-start it so I had to estimate about a half of a mile, but I've become fairly good at estimates so I think I'm within reason to call it six miles. Besides, I'm the Coach, so if I say it was six, who's going to argue?! It wasn't the fastest pace, but our goal is to get across the line together and be at a non-sweepable pace of at least 14 minutes per mile (allowing time for pictures and potential bathroom breaks). Our pace was well within non-sweepable time, so all was good.

The baby was perfectly content, and my mother has proclaimed herself a RUNNER. I just know in a couple of months she'll be looking up past results for 5ks to see if she can win her age group!

No comments: