Friday, July 18, 2008

The Name Game

So I'm thinking this new baby can't go through life named GoofyBaby. We've come up with a few ideas, but nothing perfect. I guess we can just look at him and "know" his name, but that seems a bit too last minute, even for the girl who still hasn't pre-registered at the hospital.

I've polled my WISH friends- they like Miles and Max (son of Goofy). Miles is my front runner for a middle name. It's in Ted's family tree, and it seems very appropriate for a GoofyBaby. I like the name Max for other people's babies, not mine. I don't know why, but there you have it.

I also asked Emma and Harry. Emma and I have more fun picking names that won't work for whatever reason- our current favorite is Joshua. Try saying Josh Smith fast. For that matter, try saying it slow. It never fails to crack us up (but so does I Survived a Japanese Gameshow, so we are obviously simpletons.) Still, as we like to say, that is not focusing on the task at hand.

I asked Harry for his thoughts last night. Shockingly enough, he seemed to get the question and immediately blurted out an answer- "WallyMe." Uh, okay... He was still insistent on WallyMe this morning. Tracy (his teacher) thought maybe he was talking about the movie, but he hasn't seen it and isn't particularly interested in the commercials. In a funny twist, Wally kind of goes with my Disney running inspired theme- kind of feels like Walt, doesn't it?

That's about it for that topic.

I haven't completely neglected my running. I am wearing my sweet new shoes right now. They are Pearl Izumis, so I can run like an animal. We at WISH were pretty peeved at their ad campaign (essentially mocking joggers as being weenie runners), but I'm a sucker for a good sale. I can still tie them too! And they're a very serious reflective silver/orange, so on the off chance that a driver can't spot me by the giant gut and unruly hair, they'll totally see my feet. (As I walk through the parking lot at Walmart, because again, not doing so much running).

I've also spent a great deal of time (ok, wasted a great deal of time) coming up with potential races in the future. I've found a bunch of prospects. Now we just need to decide how to work them into our schedules based on the following factors:

1) Location and weather;
2) Time of year and time of start;
3) T-shirt appearance;
4) Is there a medal? And if so, is it worth the trouble?
5) Past results- can I maybe get an age group award?
6) Scary- but stroller friendly?
7) Race atmosphere.

I like my rewards, so if it's got a good medal and a cute t-shirt, I'll probably be willing to drive a little farther. And if it just looks like fun (think Christmas races), I might be more eager to sign up.

Oh, and of course, will it fit in both my life schedule and our training schedules? For instance, a 10k run on a weekend we are scheduled for a long run from 5-7 miles would be perfect. I need to go get some calendars while the school planners are on sale-- time to start penciling in our running schedules! I loved that part last year, especially when I could look at a 20 mile run around Christmas and fall over laughing. (More grim than funny when you are actually in the middle of that 20 miler, but still really fun to put on the calendar). I'm assuming we won't do anything over 9-10 miles for the half, so my calendar will be slightly less daunting (until you remember GoofyBaby and his imminent arrival).

1 comment:

Kira Gartner said...

After the first two children it got much harder to choose a name! I hope that you have found something that you like.